The Michigan State University Department of Police and Public Safety has adopted the MSU Police Sexual Assault Response Guarantee, which states:
Sexual assaults, including date/acquaintance rape, are a very serious concern of the University. If you feel you are the victim of a sexual assault on campus, your MSU Police Department will guarantee you the following:
- We will meet with you privately, at a place of your choice in this area, to take a complaint report.
- We will not release your name to the public or to the press.
- Our officers will not prejudge you, and you will not be blamed for what occurred.
- We will treat you and your particular case with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding and professionalism.
- If you feel more comfortable talking with a female or male officer, we will do our best to accommodate your request.
- We will assist you in arranging for any hospital treatment or other medical needs.
- We will assist you in privately contacting counseling, safety, advising and other available resources.
- We will fully investigate your case, and will help you to achieve the best outcome. This may involve the arrest and full prosecution of the suspect responsible. You will be kept up-to-date on the progress of the investigation and/or prosecution.
- We will continue to be available for you, to answer your questions, to explain the systems and processes involved (prosecutor, courts, etc.), and to be a listening ear if you wish.
- We will consider your case seriously regardless of your gender or sexual orientation, and regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the suspect.
If you feel you are a sexual assault victim, call the MSU Police Department at 355-2221, and say you want to privately make a sexual assault complaint. You may call any time of day or night.
If we fail to achieve any part of the above guarantee, the Chief of Police, Jim Dunlap, will meet with you personally to address any problems. The MSU Police want to help you make the MSU campus safe for students, faculty, staff and visitors.